Saturday, February 7, 2009

Searchings in Mark 1:29-34

"And immediately he left the synagogue and entered the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. Now Simon's mother-in-law lay ill with a fever, and immediately they told him about her. And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them. That evening at sundown they brought to him all who were sick or oppressed by demons. And the whole city was gathered together at the door. And he healed many who were sick with various diseases, and cast out many demons. And he would not permit the demons to speak, because they knew him." - Mark 1:29-34

Real quick I want to direct our attention to one verse here. "And he came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and the fever left her, and she began to serve them." - vs. 31

I can remember when I was sinking deep in sin, far from the peaceful shore! I can remember dying in my sickness laying there with no hope but when the goodness and loving kindness of our Lord Jesus appeared He took me by the hand and immediately I was made complete in Him. I then became like Simon's mother-in-law and began to serve the one that healed me of my sickness. Apart from Him taking me by the hand, I would have died with no hope to cling to (except maybe a vain assurance of salvation). My response to Him lifting me out of my sickness is passionate pursuit of Him.

I will spend the rest of my days
seeking how to display
His saving grace
through a life that was saved
from the former things
that are now at work in the sons of disgrace.

Notice that even after Jesus healed one he did not stop. He healed many and cast demons out of many. The demons knew who He was but He kept them quiet. Would I have seen Him for who He was, the Messiah, or would I have just been trying to get a quick fix to a momentary inconvenience. I am sure Jesus was spiritually drained. All the virtue that was leaving Him must have caused Him to weaken but notice that He did not turn them away. He healed and healed and lifted those in darkness into marvelous light. What would it be like to have the entire city at your door? how long would it have took to heal those that He did? Did He pass by some and heal others? Or did He heal all? Why was the whole city there? Were they there to hear Him teach or to see a miracle?

Regardless of the particulars, Jesus healed many and freed those oppressed. Healing power flowed from His hands, person after person after person. And when it was all quiet, and more than likely totally exhausted from the day, Jesus did not spend the night recuperating by sleeping. No, He retreated to the Father. "And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed." - vs.35

May we remember that it was Jesus that took us by the hand and that man can not live by bread alone. We must go to the throne of grace to find help, healing, and strength.

Grace and Peace!

No comments: