Sunday, April 28, 2013

Subtle Worry

Im a man that prides himself of being carefree and worry free . Well pride does come before the fall and maybe pride is the reason I have not seen the evidences of worry. I know that we all worry but because of the life the Lord has had me live I have learned to trust Him in crazy ways. I know He will take care of all that comes against me and that He will lead me into His purpose for creating me. He is the sovereign ruler of life and holds all things together. I trust, believe, and I am truly confident that my Lord Jesus Christ will never leave nor forsake.

How did worry creep up on me? How did it capture my desires and turn them against me. Not only did it capture my desires but it also stole masculinity from me. Not in the way of chopping wood, hauling hay, or lifting weights but in the way of being bold for the Gospel and living a life worthy of the Gospel. Living that life is where true masculinity, and femininity, is found and sin, worry in this instance, held it captive in my life. Its crazy for me to think that something, that has been to me, so small has brought down the very wall of my strength and lead me away from the foundation of my being with a subtlety that is haunting. I guess it truly is the little foxes that spoil the vine.

If you are one like me that wants to live the life God has called them to and live it in the place He has called you to then listen to His command to us, "Go!" And as you go "make disciples". Simple? Yes. Sin takes us away from the simplicity of the gospel. And worry is sin. James tells how this progression takes place,

"14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death." - James 1:14,15

Our desire to know Gods plan can lead us down this path to death because in our desire to walk in His will we forget it is a walk by Faith. In our desire to know we become like so many examples in scripture and we try to tell God what the best plan for our life is. Ultimately worry says, "That I am in control and I do not need God". In the simplest ways and in the in the most passionate pursuits we all can fall into the trap of worry or we can obey the Great Commission and go and make disciples that will observe all things Christ has taught.

If you, like me, need another reminder for the need for grace I do not think it can get any more obvious than the subtle danger of worry. For those of us that are not worriers, not anxious, it is very clear that we, though this sin is not outwardly expressive in us, are in more danger than the drunkard, lier, and thief. My dear reader, do not allow death to creep up on your heels and swallow you with a final move of subtle worry.



"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (Matthew 6:25-33 ESV)"

"Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6, 7 ESV)"

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. (1 Corinthians 16:13 ESV)"

No comments: